The Mustang didn't take much effort to get started. The battery, having been left connected, was deeply discharged. It wouldn't even power an LED. Apparently the battery is only about 2 years old but these batteries are usually damaged permanently if they're deep discharged. Anyway, quick trip to Halfords to pick a new battery. Plonk that in and mount it on a battery tray that has disintegrated from rust, and clamp it down using a bicycle clip!
Quick check of the oil, coolant and air filter, then in we get to try start her up. It took a few goes, but eventually started up.
On the test drive: definitely a problem with the steering. Also the brakes seem very weak.
Subsequent starts also took a fair bit cranking before it fired. Looking at the carb, the choke is an automated design and it seems to be jammed or not adjusted correctly.
So, after a closer inspection, here's some things to be fixed:
There is a lot of play in the steering. The steering wheel can be turned 15-20º before any action is transmitted to the wheels. Possibly steering box worn or worm gear out of adjustment.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ANJQ6xBx7A (2m30)
- Rebuild kit
The brakes are shockin. Peddle needs to be stomped with a lot of force to slow down.
- Check brakes. Bleed or flush brake fluid.
- Add a vacuum booster ?
- Convert to front disc brakes? (Conversion kit)
- Battery tray has disintegrated. Should be replaced.
- Bonnet catch is jammed. Just needs to be cleaned and greased.
- Fuel tank showing rust. Should be waxoyled.
- The auto-choke seems of be jamming or badly adjusted.
- Wipers need replacing.
- Wrong oil dipstick. It doesn't seal.
- Rear suspension bushings
- Turn signal lights not working.
- Battery drain when off.
- Hazard lights switch broken.
- Hazard lights not flashing.
- Interior light not working.
- Radio not working.
- Steering wheel tired and cracked.
- Windows don't close fully. Maybe fixable with some silicone spray.
- Rear left (and right?) window doesn't open.
- Hole in firewall where accelerator passes through. New grommit.
- Engine bay dirty and part rusted. Should clean down, remove rust and paint.
- Dashboard is lose.
- (Stock) Oil pressure gauge not working.
- Dodgy non-original oil pressure gauge installed.
- Wires hanging from under dash. Should be traced/replaced/tidied.
- Heater vent system (it's made of cardboard?!) is broken. Should be replaced.
- Door armrests are tired and torn.
- Trim missing from doorlocks.
- Cover missing from interior light.
- Some small traces of rust and rust bubbling on the bodywork.
- Front grill is faded. Paint? Replace with a finer mesh grill?
- Rear shelf looks shabby.